I’ve been working since the 1980s in marketing, copywriting and journalism. I’m always learning new things and have managed to keep up with the times, having gone from a manual typewriter to today’s online world.
Content marketing is now a key component of the marketing mix. So when it comes to producing and promoting blog articles, website copy or other forms of content, my writing experience can be a real plus.
Here’s a rundown of my experience (most recent first):
- Communications Manager, COBCOE – Council of British Chambers of Commerce in Europe – January 2015 to present
- Freelance copywriting, editing and marketing communications – for a wide range of client companies – 2008 to present
- English Editorial Manager for a leading Hong Kong investment group (3 years)
- Freelance Financial Journalist, Hong Kong (3 years)
- Staff Writer and Deputy Editor, Money Management – FT Magazines (5 years)
- Marketing copywriter for life assurance group (4 years)
- Marketing Assistant, public transport (2 years)
- Knowledge of how to make many types of online and offline marketing and communications work
- Fast and flexible – able to meet tight deadlines and understand complexities quickly
- Listening and researching
- Versatile in writing for a wide range of audiences and media, getting on with all kinds of people
- Cost efficient – I work from home so you can benefit from my low overheads
- Strong visual sense – self-taught InDesign and Photoshop
- A bit of a perfectionist, but also a realist
I took Business Studies and the Institute of Marketing Diploma at Bournemouth University. But that was a long time ago. I have attended, and continue to attend, talks and courses to keep myself updated.
In fact, I’d say that every day I’m picking up something new, whether to develop professionally or keep up with technology. And I don’t intend to stop accumulating knowledge and skills.
My first ‘proper job’ was assisting the Publicity Manager at Hants & Dorset, which provided public transport and coach services in the South of England. I then moved to Surrey to become a marketing copywriter for National Employers Life (NEL), a company specialising in permanent health insurance, pensions and life assurance, where I stayed for four years. (NEL later became part of UNUM and Century Life.)
A good knowledge of personal finance enabled me to make the leap into journalism as a staff writer on Money Management, part of the Financial Times group. I had a wonderful five years there, learning about publishing and the financial sector, while benefiting hugely from the mentoring of Janet Walford OBE, then editor, and other colleagues.
My love of travel got the better of me, so I decided to move to Hong Kong in 1992. I freelanced for several publications in the UK, such as The International, Asia Risk, Managed Derivatives and Offshore Financial Review, for which I wrote a regular column. In Hong Kong, I had a regular spot on the Sunday Morning Post, contributed major articles to Hong Kong Business magazine and worked on various company brochures.
With the approach of the 1997 handover of Hong Kong to China, I sought the security of full-time employment and was fortunate enough to join Jardine Fleming Investment Management (now part of JP Morgan), becoming their English Editorial Manager.
Four years later, I moved with my other half to New York City. We got married, produced two boys and I became a full-time ‘mom’, still freelancing for Jardine Fleming in Hong Kong. We came back to England six years later, and for the past eight years I’ve been building up a freelance business.
I’ve been extremely fortunate to have worked on a great range of different projects as a freelance writer, which you can see on the My work page. I was absolutely delighted when COBCOE, the Council of British Chambers of Commerce in Europe, made me their Communications Manager at the beginning of 1995 – a role which involves a lot more than copywriting and editing!
Although it’s a pretty busy role, I’m still available for other work too.
- British Insurance and Investment Brokers Association (BIIBA) Journalist of the Year 1987
- BIIBA Journalist of the Year Runner Up 1990
- Plain English Campaign Crystal Clear Award for Aetna Guide to Long-Term Care Insurance 1992